Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Las Tablas vs. Tango Sur - Get Your BYOB + Meat On

I had the day off on MLK Day and was supposed to have a sweet brunch at Toast to catch up with girlfriends and a savory dinner at Las Tablas (haven’t had date night since October!). But we had a fussy sick baby which meant staying home and cuddling all day. I want to use those Groupons soon though! However, a few weeks ago, I was able to catch up with some old coworkers at Las Tablas. Here's my review...

We usually try to do BYOB and I love meat, so I picked Las Tablas, a Colombian steakhouse. The restaurant’s rustic wooden tables and chairs handmade and imported from Colombia make it warm and cozy on a cold winter night. Clearly you can tell I love to be warm and cozy in the winter. In a few months you’ll see that I like fresh and airy when I can dine al fresco again! Back to dinner...we started with an assortment of empanadas and a plate of Arepa Chorriada (melted cheese over arepa sautéed in criolla sauce – I have no idea what that means, but melted cheese, mMMM!).  I had a combination of Entraña Skirt Steak (house specialty) and grilled pork loin served with fried sweet plantain, yuca, and potato.  The name Las Tablas comes from the wooden boards on which the restaurant serves most of the dishes. They have chimichurri type sauces at the tables which are delicious over the tasty thin pieces of meat.  So with no wait, BYO wine, appetizers, meat and potatoes for $30 including tax & tip, I’m a happy camper J **Note: check their BYOB policy before you go, it’s a little particular and different in each location.

For more BYOB and meat, I have yet to find one person who doesn’t love Tango Sur, an Argentinean steakhouse.  But since everyone loves this place and it’s in a hot spot in the city, it takes forever/is difficult to get a table, on I think any day. And it’s small and loud inside. A little too cozy. Similar to Las Tablas, I'd get empanadas and some piece of meat with potatoes with chimichurri sauce at the table. Granted, Tango Sur probably has more cuts and way bigger pieces of meat, I’d still pick Las Tablas over Tango Sur.

Try each of them out and let me know what YOU think!

1 comments:

khris said...

I hated las tablas! the food was horrible, or at least for me it was..the majority of our group seemed to have enjoyed it..i forgot what i ordered, and good thing..i don't want to remember that day at all..

on the other hand, tango sur was awesome! the food was great, especially when paired with my 10 year old red wine bottle...i would definitely go there again!